The District of Columbia Mortgage Assistance Program for Furloughed Federal Workers and District Government Employees Whose Agency Relies on Federal Funding (DC MAP)
At DCHFA we recognize that retaining homeownership is as important as becoming a homeowner. We created DC MAP to provide emergency mortgage support for District homeowners that are experiencing an unanticipated financial hardship due to the partial shutdown of the federal government.
With DC MAP we want to help DC residents across all Wards keep the homes that they have worked so hard to purchase and maintain their good payment history.
What is DC MAP?
DC MAP is a $9 million program to help District homeowners who are full-time Federal or District Government employees whose agency relies on Federal Government funding and is impacted by the Federal Government partial furlough shutdown.
DC MAP will provide financial assistance commencing with January 2019 payments of outstanding mortgage interest, principal, property taxes and property insurance bills for those District homeowners who are furloughed due to the federal government shutdown as of December 22, 2018 and are at risk of potential first trust mortgage loan default on their primary residence. The financial assistance will be made to qualified homeowners in the form of a zero-interest, recourse loan, secured by a deed of trust with a maximum monthly assistance amount of $5,000 (first trust mortgage payment) for each homeowner.
DC MAP’s qualifications are:
- Must be a District homeowner
- Furloughed Fulltime federal government employees or District Government employee whose agency relies on Federal Government funding and is impacted by the Federal Government partial furlough shutdown
- Seeking assistance for a primary residence
- Documented proof that the applicant is not eligible for forbearance through current lender/servicer
- Documented proof of satisfactory 12 month payment history prior to furlough (from January 2018 through December 2018 – no more than 1 x 30 day late)
- Has mortgage loan current through December 31, 2018
- Is at risk of mortgage default potentially leading to foreclosure.
DC MAP is an emergency loan. DCHFA requires repayment within sixty (60) days of the date of the government reopening or back pay made available to the borrower, whichever is earlier.
DC MAP financial assistance will be granted on a first come first serve basis until the program allocation has been exhausted. Homeowners seeking assistance through DC MAP should call 1-833-429-0537 to begin the process of applying for assistance through DC MAP, starting on Friday, January 25.
Questions regarding DC MAP may also be emailed to DCMAP@dchfa.org.